Ink Thinkin

Random thoughts from Dy Larson of Ink Think, freelance editor and copywriter

Friday, November 18, 2005

Totally OT

If you look in the bookbag to the right you'll see I'm (re-)reading HP5, Order of the Phoenix.

I was one of those Amazon pre-orders that HAD to have HP6 delivered to my door the day it was released, but, um, I actually still haven't read it, despite being the proud owner for over 4 months now.

I am a fan and I hate the wait between books--I much prefer to read series after they're completed so there isn't a wait-for-the-next-book delay. So, in order to savor each new HP, starting with book 5 I began making myself re-read all the preceding books in the series first. This serves as a refresher for me on what's going on, and drags out the process. This year I was aided by a friend who got me reading Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series a couple weeks before HP came out, and, well, see note above about reading a series.

I just finished Harry Potter 4 two days ago. I am a regular geek, not just a word geek, thus I am just now arriving home from a midnight showing of the Goblet of Fire movie.

No More Reading the Book Right Before the Movie For Me!

I am surprised by how disappointed I was, I don't generally have high hopes for movies of beloved books, even though they've done pretty well with HP...

I mean, yea, it was cool, the effects just keep getting better and better, and seeing the more kid-like side of these kids was nice (hard, since I'm in my 30s and still think feel like a teen myself). I just couldn't believe how much character was left out! So many seeds of things to come were left unplanted. If I saw that movie without reading the book I'd be seriously confused, particularly by the pivotal scene at the end where Harry escapes; the movie's explanation was essentially nonexistent.

It was still quite good, and yea, I very nearly cried when they offed a character and I will buy it; might even go see it again, but somehow I feel less than satisfied. Too many threads cut from the weave, I think, and some added that totally don't fit the pattern. It's almost 4am and I'm rambling, but I felt a need to share.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home